Architect, Professor Emeritus, The University of Tokyo
Mr. Ando was born in Osaka, Japan in 1941. He was self-educated in architecture and established Tadao Ando Architect & Associates in 1969. His representative works include “Church of the Light”, Ibaraki, Osaka, “Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth”, U.S.A. and “Punta della Dogana Contemporary Art Centre”, Venice, Italy. He has been awarded many prizes; Annual prize, Architectural Institute of Japan for “Row House, Sumiyoshi” in 1979, The Pritzker Architecture Prize, U.S.A. in 1995, the Gold Medal of Union International des Architectes in 2005, and The Order of Culture, Japan in 2010. He has been a professor of The University of Tokyo since 1997 and a professor emeritus since 2003. He is also a founder of the Setouchi Olive Foundation dedicated to restoring the environment of the Seto Island Sea. He has been serving as the Committee Chairman of Momo-Kaki Orphans Fund Great East Japan Earthquake since 2011.
*Photo by Keitaku Hayashi